Sunday, January 20, 2008

The impressive,impeccable,inimitable stylish G Harishankar

I have a layman's love of Carnatic music. I was introduced to it by my John Rodgers all round genius musician and composer. John was writing a piece for the Australia Art Orchestra's collaboration with the Sruthi Laya ensemble led by Karaikkudi Mani. I got to see them perform on their own at the tiny Cooroy Butter Factory.

At the Cooroy gig, we sat within reaching distance of the players. I just love this type of audience experience: much better than the distance created in a concert hall. G Harishankar (June 10, 1958 - February 11, 2002) was a renowned player of the kanjira, a tambourine used in the Carnatic music of South India. To date, he is the only Kanjira player to be awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, the highest national recognition given to performing artists. [source: Wikipedia]

Here is a short example of G Harisshankar's kanjira magic. I just love to look at how he uses his right hand. It's all in the palm. Enjoy, my friends, enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view