Sunday, April 15, 2007

Flamenco trumpet


BACALAU

Since I can remember, people have commented that I have a 'Spanish' sound. I'm not too sure what that means. Do I sound like a guitar or a bloodied bull in an arena? Perhaps they are picking up on a fascination with Spanish culture and history. I'm intrigued by Andalusian music from Spain and North Africa - of lyricism set again rhythmic complexity.

I assumed that trumpet featured prominently in Spanish music. Sure it can be heard in film scores and some orchestral works but I was quite taken aback to learn that it was just a little add on /frilly filler in some modern flamenco recordings.

Bacalau is an attempt to redress this imbalance: to try to meld the flamenco guitar and percussion with the trumpet.

bacalau hung outside a shop

Bacalau, the salted cod essential to so many Spanish dishes, needs to be seasoned to bring out entirely original dishes.

Bacalau is having a rare appearance at the Brisbane Jazz Club this coming Friday night. Check out the details on the poster.

No comments: